Monday, June 25, 2007

Sand Castle Cake


Sand Castle Cake
Originally uploaded by lasassone
Today the Painter-Man and my dh were steaming and stripping wallpaper in our bedroom. They aren't finished and will be back at it in the morning. WHAT a job and WHAT a mess!

But look what I made when I wasn't helping them with stuff! We're going tonight to our Garden Club's Annual "Birthday" party potluck dinner and this is part of my contribution. I also made 27 stuffed eggs which, if it's like at our Christmas potluck, will be gone in less than 10 minutes!

I got the castle pan (Nordicware) some time ago and this is the first chance I've had to use it. I used the recipe that came on the packaging, but next time I think I'll just use a cake mix because it didn't rise up to fill in some of the bottom details like the steps up to the door of the castle. A cake mix would also be way easier to make than the recipe from Nordicware.

I was worried that the cake wasn't going to come out of the pan in one piece, but it was fine and is only missing one little bump on one of the turrets. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Before we leave for the dinner, my dh says he's going to make little flags to stick into the turrets before serving. When we put it out after dinner with the other desserts folks have brought it will be a surprise. Meanwhile it will stay hidden because the lid to this great Tupperware square cake carrier fits just right without touching the tops of the turrets at all. That was a pleasant surprise!

The "beach" is Trader Joe's Turbinado Raw Sugar and the sea shells are Trader Joe's Belgian Chocolate Seashell truffles. I think I'll put more on before we leave for the dinner. I bought a box of them a week ago and am slightly embarrassed to say I have already eaten some. Just one in each corner looks a tad skimpy I think.

Tomorrow it's back to stitching!

Stitch On!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nice job on the cake! It looks lovely.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Wow - it's beautiful. Multi-talented I'd say!

LouAnne said...

Thanks for the kind remarks. The pan did all the hard work and the cake was a big hit last night

Mary-Frances said...

How totally clever! Ah, louanne you're so creative! I bet it was a hit.