Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memory for Stash Sunday


Memory of Mum
Originally uploaded by lasassone.
Going through some drawers today I found a small stack of embroidered pillowcases and I think this is one of the last sets my Mum embroidered, crocheted and gave to me. They are yellowed from storage as I have not wanted to use them. Even if I did we have king sized pillows now and these wouldn't fit as they are standard size.

The Stash Sunday group wanted a memory for today's posting. Right away I thought I MUST still have a set of her pillowcases somewhere, so I went on a hunt. Her crocheted edgings were usually her own unique design and very delicate.

I have some pairs of pillowcases to make for all 7 of my grandchildren when the time is right and they have a need. Unfortunately they are poly/cotton blend cases and not the nice 100% cotton ones Mum used to buy at the dimestore. I will soon have to start the first set as our eldest grand will be 18 next April.

I guess the grands will appreciate the poly/cotton blend since they don't have these for comparison. They may not have to iron theirs. However, I will try to remember to show them how to press the back of the embroidery over a terry towel to make it stand out! That was my first household chore Mum taught me when I was about 6 or so. The iron scared me a lot at first, but over the years I and my iron have bonded well!

3 comments:

Pamela Kellogg said...

These are beautiful Louanne! I have some with bonnet girls that have crocheted skirts on them. My mom made them for me a few years back. I could never sleep on them! Instead, I have them on "pillowshams" which are on the bed only for display!

piney cq said...

What treasures you have, Lou Anne! Gorgeous! They'd be wonderful worked into a wall hanging for yourself or some other special project! I'm glad to know i'm not the only one who makes the heirloom gifties for the grands! Nice tradition!

(Angie) Norththreads: said...

soaoThese are fab!!